When life gets stressful, which it will, what do you do?
I’ve whined of late about how my head is going to explode as I watch my family, my friends and myself get through some tough times. And we all need coping mechanisms to get us through the tough times. Today, I’m going to give you the things that work for me.
- reading very light novels (they make me smile and remember that there will be silly moments in my future, and happy endings)
- organizing things (it helps to make order and calm out of something)
- exercise (nothing makes me feel better than breaking a sweat, or lifting weights or just putting one foot in front of the other- you and your body are stronger than you think)
- hot bath (lavender salts, your troubles just float away)
- cooking/baking (you have to pay attention to a recipe- you don’t have time to worry. My family has gotten pumpkin scones, pumpkin cookies and yellow cake with chocolate frosting over the past three weeks)
- music (I put on music and my shoulders drop down about six inches)
- talk to a friend (the other day I just spit out my whole list of stresses to my friend. After I did it I fully exhaled for the first time in a month)
- Writing (this blog and my journal have been brain saving)
- puzzles/games (this is another example of getting your mind occupied for a little bit so that you’re not dwelling on whatever issues ail you)
- getting a good night’s sleep (seriously- lack of sleep isn’t good under the best of circumstances- when you’re stressed it’s worse)
- Photography (taking pictures calms me- I’m thinking about light and angle and framing- nothing else)
- Playing with my dog and cat (come on- they’re cute and furry and snuggle)
So- what are your favorite methods of stress relief? How do you cope when everything is piling up?